Friday, June 7, 2024

Codependent Stuff


I thought I would share a little bit more about Codependency
today.
The reason being, is that I remember all the self-help books,
counseling, struggles, and lack of direction I had.
I remember always feeling like something was wrong with me.
(so I became a self-help junkie)
I constantly searched for the answers to why I felt
lost, directionless, confused, insecure, scared, alone,
and a sense of not belonging. I blamed others for my unhappiness.
 What was wrong with me?
When my counselor suggested a book on
codependency (in 2021),
I remember opening it up, and everything
starting to make more sense.
I felt relieved. 
I wasn't crazy after all...
I was codependent.


I am going to share a few questions and quotes from my 
"Codependent No More" book/workbook.
It took me so long to find the help I needed,
and a lot of counseling.
I hope this helps someone discover their own answers.

"Survival behaviors are what people do when they don't
know what else to do."

" Survival behaviors are what people do when they don't have other 
options for dealing with overwhelming situations.
Sometimes survival behavior is the best we can do.
Without help we don't have any other options."

"For so many years we thought other people held the key
to our happiness."

" Most people with codependency issues feel genuinely unlovable."

Questions to ponder:
(* codependency behavior)

"What's the motivation for what you're doing?
Because you made a conscious decision to do it,
or
are you *acting from guilt or obligation?

Are you *choosing to give or giving compulsively without
thinking about what you are doing?

Are you *hoping someone will like or love you if you do 
something for, or give something to, her or him?

Do you feel lovable and likable, and have self-esteem?
Or do you *have to prove those things to other people and yourself?
How do you feel when you're done doing the behavior?
Do you *feel resentful, used and victimized?
Or do you feel comfortable with and responsible for your choices?"

" Codependency recovery helps people get and keep a life.
Sometimes it saves their life too."

" A codependent person is one who lets another person's 
behavior affect him or her, and who is obsessed with
controlling that behavior."

"Not only can we lovingly detach from other people
and take care of ourselves, it is our primary responsibility
in life to do that."

I didn't waste anytime in finding a codependency support group.
I found a group that met in a church near me.
The first day I went....I was so dang scared. 
I remember before the meeting was half over though, 
I'd already felt a sense of belonging, acceptance and
love washing over me.

 It was one of the smartest & best choices I think I've ever made.

I also found many groups online.
Sometimes I do that too,
but I prefer to be with my peeps.

I will be sharing more quotes, notes, and thoughts about codependency as
I continue my healing journey.
It is something so many of us struggle with,
but aren't even aware of it.  
I wish I had more awareness sooner,
however, I trust that life is unfolding as it needs to for me,
and I am unbelievably grateful.

"Taking care of myself is a big job.
No wonder I avoided it for so long."

xoxo
💝






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breathe and Recenter

Good morning!  Today I am going to take time to breathe & recenter. It has been a full week. Hubby had his bladder cancer removed Thursd...