Honeymoon Part #1

Last week we decided to take a road trip.
No plans.
Just go, and do, and see.

I tried to get her attention...she finally looked up. She is blind in one eye.

We thought this would be our honeymoon...
but 
we propose that a few more honeymoon sessions are required. :)

Fog rolling in on the river

Our first stop was in Mountain Home AR.
to reunite with one of Gary's college/Vet. School classmates and his wife. 


They were very warm and welcoming.  
I was afraid I would feel awkward.
Instead I felt like a member of their family.
I love it when everything feels so natural...
and you can relax and really enjoy each other.

racing is their hobby. this is his car

We were invited to spend the night at their home
and happily accepted.
It gave us more time.
It was fun learning about their interests & hobbies.
Sharing stories of our families.
Sitting out under the ceiling fans on their deck until late night...
 sipping tea, listening to the tree frogs, and reminiscing over college days
and special times.


I enjoyed hearing the stories.
And sharing stories of my own.
There was plenty of laughter, and good humor 
and moments of sheer buffoonery. :) 

Breakfast

For breakfast we dined at the towns diner
and were introduced to some of the locals.

Vinegar pie...

We tried Vinegar pie !
We made it a team sport. :)
3 forks...one pie...count of 3...and go !
Gary, Marilyn and I...
dug in for the first bite ever.
*note to self
Next visit...lets make this a tradition.

 their rescue dog Casey and Gary looking at picture of classmates.

After breakfast we stopped by the clinic.
It was busy with rescue animals , boarded pets and exams.
The animal lover in me went a little giddy.
So many furry faces to pet and so little time. :)

The sorrel mare used to be a champion barrel racer...she is 37 ! 

I was a little sad when we said our good-byes.
It was a wonderful visit with new friendships being birthed...
and old friendships rekindled.
We left making plans to return
and I can't wait to see these
sweet, sweet people again soon !!


Back on the road we listened to music and talked.
I read books aloud.
We munched on Oreo's...
thin mints Oreo's...
lemon Oreo's...
none of which made it home...
other than some tell-tale signs they left on my poochie belly.
*sigh


We stopped to take pictures
and delight in the flowers and the butterflies.


We drove up a mountain,
and ate lunch on a cliff.

used book store

We explored small towns...
and quaint little shops.
We tucked away in a used book store and enjoyed searching through
the overcrowded shelves of
juicy novels while visiting with the shop-owner about the local culture. 



We drove down country roads.
And dropped in to visit my Mom .
The timing was perfect ! 
 My brother and his girlfriend were visiting too !!
I haven't seen him in two years, and I had never met his girlfriend.
So that made me so happy !!! 
It was good to have us all together in one spot !
*love


After a few days away, we really wanted to get back home.
Getting away was good.
Every minute in the car, spending time together, taking an intermission from 
our daily routine, whether is was perfect or not...
it was good.
It refreshes and re-prioritizes things for us.
Just what a get away should do.


But it is always good to be back home...
especially when Brandon and Bun are here.





'cuz when we are all together, it makes me happy...


and I want to soak up every second !!
His visits home don't ever seem long enough.
I still struggle with seeing him go.



And...our honeymoon...

Honeymoon : 
1.  A vacation or a trip taken by a newly married couple.
2.  The month or so following a marriage.
3.  Any period of blissful harmony.

...it will continue.
We decided to have one every month.
We will go visit more friends...
take some short trips...
or hide away at a quiet little cove to read aloud and dream.
We will find more ways to make the ordinary extraordinary...
slow down more and appreciate this one 
beautiful life we've been given.
XOXO


Comments

Popular Posts